Thursday, June 5, 2014

He Makes All Things Grow!

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant
Robert Louis Stevenson


A couple of years ago I was preparing for an event at my home. I wanted everything to look beautiful, including my landscaping which was non-existent at the time. Since I was already preparing for an event, I needed to do everything else on a budget- a very tight budget. I remembered a house that I drove by daily and had admired for the simplistic beauty of the landscaping- large stones that were used throughout the yard outlining the beautifully placed foliage.

So that was my plan, we would collect stones, large and small to layer and outline the foliage that we had yet to plant (and had yet to purchase). 

The stones were easy to find (and free!) on our family’s property, collecting them however was a greater task. Some were quite heavy and yet we managed to load them up, transfer them and place them right where they belonged, curving around what would become a very beautiful landscape.

Next came the plants. As I shopped for them I began to see how expensive even the smallest bushes and plants could be and I realized that I needed a different plan.

My sister had a beautiful garden, thick with foliage of all different kinds, so I went to her for advice. I also remembered that she often divided her plants to make room for more growth and thought she might have a few to split and share.

Just as I had hoped, she sent me home with numerous types of plants, some large and some small, a perfect beginning and since they were a gift, they fit perfectly into the budget.

After much hard work everything looked beautiful for the event.



***



Recently as I walked around our landscaping, I admired the fullness of the foliage and the beautiful flowers that were blooming from each plant. I couldn’t help but think of how much these plants (that had originally been planted by my sister and replanted by me) had grown in just a couple of years. While we still need to pull weeds that pop up from time to time, trim the ever growing grass that tries to cover our beautiful stones and prune some of the branches that are bare and not producing any foliage, I have to admit that although we had initially invested a lot of hard work, year after year they have produced so much more without a great effort on our part. We can’t take the credit- we may have planted them but God continues to grow them!

Often times that’s how it is with our faith. God tills the soil, bringing stones (hard things) to the surface so that He can remove them or use them, someone else plants a seed, another waters them, and the rest is left for God to tend. He gently pulls any weeds that linger or that spring up, and trims the branches that aren’t producing any fruit.


So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is important because only God makes it grow.
1 Corinthians 3:7
 




 

As we look back at all the hard work that was done in the beginning we realize that the real growth in our lives and in our faith comes from God- who makes all things grow!




No comments:

Post a Comment