Friday, June 6, 2014

Believing in His Grace

 
And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.
2 Corinthians 9:8


 
Although I’ve been a writer for as long as I can remember, to suggest that to anyone else seemed almost misleading, considering I didn’t have the right credentials to back it up. I didn’t take any classes (other than 8th grade creative writing, which I loved!) and I certainly didn’t have a degree that qualified me for such a title. I’ve also been an artist for as long as I can remember but once again, I believed that a lack of education proved that I was neither of those things.

And yet I continued to write and paint and dream
I dreamed of writing and illustrating a children’s book, of owning a studio and painting for a big gallery opening, of becoming a best selling author.  


I dreamed but I didn’t believe.

Fear, doubt and insecurities would always remind me- you’re just a nobody, a small town girl with a painful past. I couldn’t argue the facts- I had no proof of anything different. I had nothing that said I was somebody.
 
The enemy of my soul had me right where he wanted me, far from any plans that God had for me.
 
Until grace found me.


 
His grace poured down on me like rain, pooling into an ocean that I couldn’t swim far or deep enough to escape.


 
Through grace came healing and God began to show me His purpose and His plan which included the talents and abilities that He knit in me- abilities that didn’t require a degree but did require a faith to believe I am who He says I am and I can do what He says I can do.
 
Writing became a passionate pursuit of Him as I poured out my heart with words that would bring healing and hope to me and to others as well. God began to open doors that only He could open as He used others to encourage me to be who He was calling me to be.
 
Through His grace I’m learning that I can do more than I ever thought possible- living each day according to His purposes and plans for my life.

 

God has placed a passion and a purpose in each of us and has a plan for us because to Him we’re more than just a "somebody"…we are His Beloved.

 
 





For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.
Ephesians 2:10



 


 


 



 

 




10 comments:

  1. I loved this and can relate on so many levels. The verse from Ephesians ties this all together so beautifully. We are God's masterpiece and He will pursue us relentlessly with His plan for our lives so we need to slow down and listen and say "yes". Blessings, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Mary! Yes, in this busy life we all need to "slow down and listen", it's so hard to do but so worth it!
      Blessings to you :)

      Delete
  2. Oh how I can relate! I paint and write and have regrets that I didn't pursue a degree in English or Journalism. Yet, He is bigger ...we are indeed His masterpiece. You have referred to one of my favorite verses from Romans ...where he calls "nobodies" "somebodies...beloved" ...also love the Ephesians verse...someone told me this week that in Greek the word poeima is used in place of masterpiece-- the English word "poem" is derived from it....thought that was another neat description since I also love to write poetry. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie I think we have so much in common! I'm excited to get to know you more :)
      I love writing poetry too!
      Thanks so much!!!

      Delete
  3. I think the blogosphere ate my comment! :) Lanette, I love how you write of God revealing the gifts and talents that He purposefully knit together in you - to you - in His infinite grace. I'm so glad that you are bravely writing. I loved this write! (I'm visiting from our Writers (In)couraging Writers group)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Missy! It has been a blessing connecting with so many of you through (in)courage and I'm excited for what He has in store for all of us!

      Delete
  4. I love how you can see the grace of Him in your gifts! I love your heart friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your writing is beautiful. I hope you follow your dreams. We are His beloved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Harriet! Your words are a blessing :)

      Delete