Friday, June 20, 2014

A Friend to All





"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend."
Robert Louis Stevenson



When I was just a kindergartner a letter was sent home from my teacher… apparently I was too social. I would finish my work and then walk around the classroom checking on my classmates, my friends- to see if they were doing ok, whistling whilst I made my rounds.



And so it went for many years. I would strike up conversations with anyone, anywhere- making many friends along the way.


My mom would say that I could make a friend in the bathroom and she was probably right.


If I met someone and had a conversation with them (no matter how brief) I considered them my friend. But didn’t everyone feel that way?? Seemed perfectly natural to me...

As my children grew they would say 'you know everybody’ and it seemed they were right because no matter where we traveled we would inevitably run into someone I knew. My daughter jokingly added that I forced people to be my friend, that I didn’t give them the option to not be.

I was nice to everyone and I was friendly so I just assumed that everyone would want to be my friend. I mean- why wouldn’t they, right?

And then it happened…no matter how nice or how friendly I tried to be to a certain person- she didn’t like me. It seemed the harder I tried, the less she liked me! I even apologized to her for anything that I may have done to offend her and although she admitted that I hadn’t -she still didn’t like me and she made it very clear.

My daughter was right, I tried to force people to like me, and I wouldn’t give them the option to not be my friend.

Rejection. I didn’t like it, not one little bit but then again, who does? We’ve all been rejected at some point in our lives and have all needed to learn to adapt to circumstances and situations that are beyond our control.

Even though at times rejection is difficult to accept, I’ve resolved to continue to be who God created me to be…a friend to all, even if it’s only one-sided.

After all, if I’m a follower of Jesus then I’m called to love even the unlovable and those who don’t love me back.

"But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you." -Luke 6:27-28
 
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. I love your conversational style! This is well-written and chock-full of truth. Isn't God so gracious to remind us that we are not in control...even in our friendships? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouraging words Karen! I guess this means we're friends...hehe :)

      Delete