Friday, May 16, 2014

Knowledge and Wisdom


 

Now, I guess I should begin by saying that I’m not a bible theologian just an ordinary woman with a wounded past immersed in an ocean of grace-- desperate to share how Jesus has redeemed, restored and renewed me.


That being said, I was recently contemplating the definitions of wisdom and Knowledge-- I thought, what’s the difference? Is there a difference? I decided to do some research, so I googled it, because that’s what you do when you want answers right?


Ok, so that’s what I do when I want answers.


When my husband and I are debating something, he despises when I say "GOOGLE IT!", and I have to admit, sometimes I say it just to bug him (and of course to prove that I’m right!).


While I found a plethora of information on the subject I thought this simple quote by Phil Drysdale summed it up nicely, "Knowledge is knowing the truth. Wisdom is knowing how to apply it." And I love this quote from Miles Kington, "Knowledge is knowing the tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in your fruit salad." –yuck!


And so I began thinking about the knowledge and wisdom that I’ve collected over the last almost forty-seven years.


I’m knowledgeable about some things and I truly believe it’s the life experiences (good and bad) that have taught me wisdom concerning many things, but when doubt creeps in we question whether we have any knowledge or wisdom at all. We allow offenses and criticism to make us question who we really are, what we’re doing and why we’re doing it, mostly because we attempt to operate in our own strength.


Pride can cause us to want to "appear" knowledgeable instead of humbly seeking wisdom from the One who created us. 

 

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. James 1:5 (NIV)


 
Knowledge of the things of God produces wisdom as we apply what we know (from the God we love) to the choices we make.


Even as we grow in knowledge and wisdom, sometimes we blow it.


Sometimes we fail.


Sometimes we hurt or offend someone -- often times the ones we love the most.


And sometime we’re on the receiving end of hurts and offenses.


This is where wisdom reminds us of the grace already poured out to us, the grace that was more than enough to cover all of our sins, and the sins committed against us.

We acknowledge that we live in a broken world, that most of us are at least a little wounded, and that ALL of us are in desperate need of the grace and love of our Savior.

 
For this reason we have not stopped praying for you since the day we heard about you. We ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through every kind of spiritual wisdom and insight. We ask this so that you will live the kind of lives that prove you belong to the Lord. Then you will want to please him in every way as you grow in producing every kind of good work by this knowledge about God. Colossians 1:9, 10 (GW)


I’m so incredibly humbled and thankful, that while I certainly didn’t deserve it, Jesus poured out all the grace and mercy I would ever need.

Now, I just need to remember to extend that same grace to others when they need it most.



"Knowledge is knowing the truth."- of the grace and mercy we have received. "Wisdom is knowing how to apply it."- extending it to ALL unconditionally, the same way it was given to us.

 

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment