Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Honesty and Transparency




"Honesty and transparency make you vulnerable. Be honest and vulnerable anyway."
-Mother Teresa

 
 
Can I be honest for just a moment?

I really, really struggle with focus.

I get distracted, I easily lose my train of thought, especially if I’m speaking with someone in a crowded place with a lot of people and commotion or the television is on or we’re in a car with the music playing loudly. I know this can be really frustrating to my family who has to deal with it on a regular basis and while they try to keep me on track, it’s just so easy to lose me.

In the past this has caused me to feel very inadequate and unworthy, questioning whether I have any good qualities at all.

I struggle at work if the area that I’m working in is really busy (noisy) or if my desk is really cluttered or I feel overwhelmed with my work load.

I’ve learned to recognize my distractions and have implemented ways to attempt to overcome, for instance, I listen to music with my earbuds in to try to drown out some of the noise and distractions around me.

I write down specific things that I need to accomplish and check them off once I’ve done so. I even add things to my list if I’ve done them and have forgotten to write them down, it helps me to feel more efficient.

I try to focus on one thing at a time instead of looking at the "big picture" especially if I’m feeling overwhelmed.

I clear my desk and organize things around me so my thoughts seem less cluttered (I hope to be moving into a new office soon where I can limit the distractions by closing my door).

And finally, I alllow myself to either get up and move around or do something creative, like write, look at something artsy/colorful or just day dream for a few minutes (it’s like a power nap for creatives, really- try it!).

But most of all, when I’m discouraged with what feels like a quality that frequently disqualifies me (makes me feel not good enough), I remember that God has a purpose and a plan for me despite my distractions and feelings of inadequacy.

I’m reminded that I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me, even the things I thought I could never do!

Friends, if you’re feeling discouraged, disqualified, or distracted remember that God has a plan for you too! He wants to prosper you and give you hope for your future and if you’ll let Him He will show you that with Him ALL things are possible and through Him you can do ALL things!

Be blessed and let God use you to be a blessing!

Be transparent and share your struggles, your story with others…








1 comment:

  1. Wonderful story! There are times when it is hard to focus but like you said writing things down and trying to drown out the extra noise are steps in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete