Tuesday, February 4, 2014

You have a purpose and God has a plan!






 

"Destiny waits in the hand of god, shaping the still unshapen..”




 

We all have unique talents and abilities, God given gifts that He knit in us before we were born. Most often these gifts come so effortlessly that some fail to realize it’s a gift at all.

Writing, drawing, communicating and especially encouraging have always been like breathing for me, something that I just did without thought or effort. As a kindergarten student, I would walk around the classroom, studying my classmates work telling them what a good job they were doing. As an adult I have found that by speaking into someone’s life through transparency about my own life God has used me in the ways that He gifted me, most often without me even realizing it!

 

There are many things I’m not gifted to do. I’m not an athlete, or a musician or singer. I’m not great in a crisis or gifted with numbers. I’m not extremely organized or punctual (although I’m praying that changes). There are so many things that I’m not but I know what I am…

 

I am an artist and most often I’m amazed at what I can do, knowing fully that God guides my hand as the brush effortlessly strokes the canvas revealing beauty that only He could (use me to) create.

I’m also a writer. I love to tell a story and paint a picture with my words.

 

Unfortunately I believed for many years that I wasn’t smart enough, good enough or talented enough and that the lack of a degree disqualified me from using my gifts. So day after day, month after month, year after year I did what I felt I was qualified to do and struggled greatly in positions that went against my natural abilities.

 

Like swimming upstream against a rushing current, I continued attempting to navigate waters I was never meant to swim. What an incredibly frustrating and unfulfilling way to live and certainly not what God intended for us!



I'm sure that some of you are struggling in the same ways. Doubting who you are or who you might be, wondering if you have any gifts to offer, any dreams to fulfill.

 

I’m here to tell you that you do! God has a plan for you!

 




Psalm 139:13
says, You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb.

 

He knew you, before He formed you. He knew what you would be and who you would become, if you will just listen to His voice and trust in the gifts that He has instilled in you.

 

Fear of failure and maybe even a fear of success holds you back. The self doubts and the what-ifs settle in and so you stay. You stay in your familiar, safe little cubicle or at home in your "easy" chair, right where the enemy of your soul wants you, far from the plan God has for you.

 

When we fail to trust in the gifts that God has placed in us, we fail to move into the positions He has planned for us.




 

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

 

Doubts come easy when comparison enters the picture. There will always be someone else that we see as more capable, more gifted, more talented and so we believe that we have no purpose.

I finally came to realize that I'm not an artist or a writer because I took a class or have a degree but because that's who God created me to be and I'm learning not to compare myself to other artists and writers because God didn't create me to be just like them but made me uniquely me!

And God made you, uniquely you, on purpose with a purpose!

 

"What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God."


– Eleanor Powell


 

I am linking up with other God-sized Dreamers today
 


 

 

 

 




 

6 comments:

  1. I loved this, and so identified with it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I've found that God uses me the most, even when I don't realize it, when I'm being transparent about my own life. One of the biggest deceptions of the enemy is to try and make us feel like we are the only ones going through something. It keeps us isolated and a prisoner bc we don't feel we measure up to everyone else that seems to have it all together.
    Amen, to being who God created us to be, and nothing less!!

    ps. God is working on my punctuality too, He's a patient teacher :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Alecia!!! Thanks for your encouraging words!

      Delete