Thursday, January 23, 2014

Hiding Our Hurts






"In a futile attempt to erase our past, we deprive the community of our healing gift. If we conceal our wounds out of fear and shame, our inner darkness can neither be illuminated nor become a light for others."


 
Recently I was in my kitchen preparing to boil some eggs and as I reached into the cupboard a plastic bowl fell from the shelf and landed on top of the closed egg carton. I was sure that at least some of the eggs would be damaged and useless but to my surprise when I opened the carton, none of them appeared to be broken, not even cracked from what I could see.
Once the water started to boil I ever so gently placed the eggs one by one into the water. I was puzzled to see that a couple of the eggs had small cracks, invisible on the surface but once placed in the hot water became visible as they began spilling some of their contents. They had been damaged, broken after all.
Immediately I thought, isn’t that just like some of our hearts? Most of us seem as though we have it all together on the surface but once we’re placed in hot water (difficult circumstances) our brokeness becomes apparent as the cracks give way and we spill out our hurts onto others.
When I encounter a situation with someone who is hurtful towards me for no apparent reason, I try to remember the saying, hurting people hurt people.
Maybe on the surface there are no visible signs to explain their behavior because they’ve hidden their hurts so that no one can see and masked their pain so that no one will know, but they can’t stay hidden or masked forever.
They are in need of grace, just as much as we are!
God has poured out His great love for us by sending His Son to die for us, giving up His life so that we might have an abudant life and an eternity with Him.
 
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
Psalm 147:3


None of us are broken beyond repair. We have a Healer- Restorer- Redeemer who wants to heal all our wounds and use us to help reconcile others to Him.
The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, Because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the afflicted; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to captives and freedom to prisoners.
Isaiah 61:1
 
 
So let’s be men and women of grace, not forgetting the amazing grace that God has poured out for us and let’s try to encourage those who may be broken and hurting and in need of a Savior, even if the surface doesn’t show it.
 
 "To live by grace means to acknowledge my whole life story, the light side and the dark. In admitting my shadow side I learn who I am and what God's grace means."



 
 

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment