Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Don't be afraid to fail...



Fail early, fail often, but always fail forward.”
John Maxwell
, Failing Forward
 
 
 
It's so easy to look back now and see the times that I've failed and realize that they were all part of the plan, His plan, to mold me and shape me into the woman I am today.
I'm also fully aware that He isn't done yet, still shaping and molding, but I can clearly see some of the things that had to fall apart so that doors could be opened and opportunities presented, to bring me where I am now.
 
I have a lengthy list of failing forward... 
I worked in the clerical department for an insurance company
I was a bank teller
A data entry clerk for a banking corporation
A chiropractic assistant
A daycare provider
An administrative assistant to my former pastor
An office manager for a custom home builder
An artist and a muralist (owning and operating my own decorative painting business)

A receptionist
A licensed stylist (working in a few different salons) 

A call center representative
There were even a few home based businesses that I tried too!
 
I've worked in a lot of different positions in my forty-six years on this earth and each time I left, regardless of the reasons, I couldn't help but feel as though I had failed.
 
I had always been a runner, never feeling like I was good enough so I would leave before anyone noticed that I truly wasn't. The term "fake it til you make it" was certainly how I lived except that I never really felt like I could "make it" so instead, I would run.

I was focusing so much on trying to be something that I wasn't (and would never be) that I almost missed it, almost missed the failing forward part...

Those things had to fall apart so that I could fully rely on God and begin to believe that He created me for something entirely different, something uniquely me. I had to stop believing the lies of who I wasn't and start believing the truth of who I was!
I have a different job now, I'm the assistant Publicist for a Christian Publishing Group but I'm more than that...
I'm a Jesus follower, a wife, a mom, a writer, a storyteller, an artist and anything else that God says I am.
 
 
Don't be afraid to fail. Let go of the things that aren't working and trust in God to open the right doors and lead you into the positions and the plan that He has for you. Don't let pride rob you of the blessings that God desires to give you!!!



“Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson


4 comments:

  1. Great post - I've never heard the term "failing forward" but it makes sense. We can lean on God and let Him teach us through our mistakes. I'm visiting from the iBloom FB group and will be sharing this beautiful post today.

    Blessings,
    Nicole @ WorkingKansasHomemaker.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nicole!
      "Failing Forward" came to me as a message that although I've failed at some things, I've also continued moving forward towards the things that God truly wanted for me, it is also the title of a book that John Maxwell wrote, while I haven't read it and can't endorse it I did like the quote from him that I used at the top of my post.
      Thanks for sharing!
      God bless!

      Delete