Monday, December 23, 2013

Nobody puts baby Jesus in a corner!



Shopping. Wrapping. Decorating. Cooking. Baking. Cleaning.


Preparing for the holidays sometimes seems like a never-ending list of "to-do’s".

As I was adjusting the cushions and straightening the pillows in our living room for what seemed to be the millionth time, I glanced at our Nativity, specifically at the baby Jesus and immediately thought of all the Christmas decorations carefully placed around our home.

The Christmas tree, all lit up and meticulously decorated, was placed prominently in front of the windows on display for all to see.

The stockings were hung (not by the chimney with care, no fireplace - no chimney) on the staircase that was also decorated with greenery, pine cones and brightly colored ornaments.

The wreath, decorated to coordinate with the tree and the staircase was hanging next to the stockings, along with vases filled with glistening wintery twigs and candles placed all about but what about the Nativity?

To be quite honest, I couldn’t find room.

So there it was, the Nativity, stuck in the corner out of the way and mostly out of view.

How ironic.

No room.



Luke 2:7

And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.


No room in the inn.

No room in my decorating plan.

No room in my home.

No room in my heart?

No room for the very reason that we celebrate Christmas?

Had I allowed so many other things to take precedence that I also allowed the ONE that we celebrate to be displaced, pushed into a corner, all but forgotten?

I regretfully admit that I had…



Luke 2:10-14

Then the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger."


And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying:

"Glory to God in the highest,
And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!"


I will make room.

I will purpose to keep Jesus in a prominent place, not only in my home but in my heart.

HE will be above all things and at the center of all things.

Will you join me?

Let us give Glory to God in the Highest for the One that was born to give us Life Everlasting!




1 comment:

  1. I didn't hear you mention any Santa Claus items, which says something all by itself. Whenever I used to go to my mother-in-law's home, I was always struck by the fact that the theme was purely Santa Claus. Isn't that the way of the world? www.joanna-fiftysomething.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete