Saturday, November 16, 2013

Why Am I a Christian?

Why do I call myself a Christian? I’ve read some things recently that cause me to ask myself this question and compel me to give an answer.
 
I made a decision a long time ago to surrender my life to Christ. I asked His forgiveness of my sins and asked Him to come into my heart and my life. I’m well aware of the choices that I’ve made in my lifetime, and even more aware of the enormity of God’s grace offered to me through Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross. He chose to die for me and that sacrifice causes me want to live for Him. He gave me what I don’t deserve and saved me from what I do deserve.
 
The choices that I make, the things that I choose to do and choose not to do are out of a deep desire to honor Him. Just like a child desires to make a parent proud, it is my desire that my Heavenly Father be proud of me.
Sometimes the choices are difficult, often humbling but always with a greater purpose. It’s in those moments when I’m tempted to choose my own way, when I’m weak, that He is strong, and I see the hand of God in my life.
 
Do I still make wrong choices? Yes. Do I still have a need for forgiveness? Yes. But it is through my Savior’s great love for me that I’m acutely aware that I am swimming in an ocean of grace and when I feel as though I’m drowning, He rescues me.
 
Even though I attempt to make good choices, right choices, choices that honor God, the truth is there is nothing that I have done or could do to earn what Jesus did for me.
 
NOTHING.
 
When I say that I’m a Christian I’m not saying that I’m better than anyone else, the truth, is I fail Him…a lot.
 
Christianity is not about hypocrisy, it is about humility, knowing the depth of my sin and the expanse of Jesus’ love for me. His love for me goes deep and wide and His blood was enough to cover every wrong choice, every mistake, and every hurt.
 
Why am I a Christian?
 
I am a Christian because Christ chose to die for me and I choose to live for Him.

2 comments:

  1. This is so very beautiful and God-honoring. Sharing a link on my Facebook page, Lanette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maxine! That's my prayer, to honor the Lord with my thoughts, my words and my actions!
      Thanks so much for sharing on your facebook!!!

      Delete