Sunday, October 27, 2013

Clouded Doubts - Infinite Promises


I hadn't been on an airplane in over 20 years and feeling a little nervous, I was very blessed to have my friend Michele sitting with me, reassuring me and attempting to ease my fears as we hit a few small (even though they seemed BIG to me) bumps on a couple of our flights. During our first flight this morning I was feeling extra anxious and I silently prayed Lord please forgive me for my fear, protect us and keep us safe. This particular flight I wasn't able to sit with my friend but a very nice woman who talked about her children and grandchildren, it was a nice distraction.

As I continued to feel those familiar fears rise up and down with the rhythms of the flight I tried to focus on the incredible beauty just outside of my window. Admiring the fluffy white clouds floating just below us I saw what I thought was a rainbow circling one of the clouds. I looked harder, blinked and even took off my glasses to check for smudges. I leaned over, pointed out the window and asked my new friend if she saw the rainbow in the cloud, but she did not.

I began to doubt what I had seen and chalked it up to being overly tired from a long (although amazing) weekend. I decided to attempt to take a little nap but when I was awakened by another bump, I again looked out of my window to see a rainbow circling a cloud. This time I stared hard, opening my eyes wider and the longer I looked the clearer it became. As I stared at the colorful sphere I began to see an image forming in the middle of the circle. I continued to stare at the mysterious object until I could clearly see that it was the outline of our airplane. I wanted reassurance that someone else could see it too so again I asked my new friend and again she replied that she didn’t see anything. She must have noticed my excitement and then disappointment as she explained that maybe it was the angle that she was sitting that prevented her from seeing what I saw.

It was in that moment that I decided to believe that I saw it! Even if it was for my eyes only, just God’s way of reassuring me of His promise to keep us safe as we flew high above the ground, it was enough for me!
When we safely landed and were on our way to our next flight I began to tell the story to my friend Michele who said, “The rainbow in the cloud, yeah I saw it and I saw the shadow of our airplane in the middle.” She then repeated what I had thought, that it was God’s promise (the rainbow) and that He was protecting our plane.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a rainbow in a complete circle but I truly believe that it was God’s way of showing me that His promises are infinite, endless, and inexhaustible.

We have an amazing God who even when we doubt, loves us enough to show us just how much, in uniquely beautiful ways!

I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth. Genesis 9:13





*This is an image that I found on wikipedia, not the actual image I saw from our airplane, but almost identical to what I saw. Apparently this is a very rare and I feel incredibly blessed to have witnessed it!


Thinking of the beauty that God painted in the sky to reassure me I can't help but think of another way that God clearly spoke to my heart as we neared the end of our time at Allume...

As we sang our last worship song at Allume and watched as each artist's brush revealed more of God's glory on the individual canvases, I felt God impress on my heart the precious time wasted on comparison. Looking at each of the canvases I could see that they were all so different, so unique, each one beautiful and an incredible gift. That is how God sees each of us, so different, so unique that there is truly no comparison. God wants to reveal the beauty that He painted in each of us, we just need to stop comparing ourselves to everyone else and be who He created us to be!

8 comments:

  1. That is SO cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not a fan of flying either, that would've been such a blessing and comfort to my heart in your shoes. God is so good! Thanks for sharing this story with us!
    <3
    Sherri
    P.S. Your writing is BEAUTIFUL. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri it was so AMAZING!!! I was trying so hard to just trust and believe and have faith that God was with us but God knew my doubts and chose to SHOW me that He was with me! He is sooo good and faithful and loving to His children!
      Thank you so much, it feels so incredible when God puts a message on my heart and gives me the words to share it <3

      Delete
  2. Lynette...I had the SAME thought at the end...how different and perfectly lovely each painting was! I love the promise of the rainbow he gave you too! Just beautiful! I loved meeting you! Just loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Logan, loved meeting you too! You did an amazing job with everything!!!

      Delete
  3. It was so good to connect with you at Allume and have a few moments to chat. Thank you for sharing this beautiful reminder of God's love for us, even in the small details of life. It is so awesome when God shows us in a tangible way his love and protection of us. Especially in the midst of our fears. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to meet you too!!! I agree, I love it when God paints such beautiful pictures of His love for us :)

      Delete
  4. That is beautiful! I hate flying too and that would have been such an amazing assurance. I went to Haiti last March, 17 hours on planes, 26 hours to arrive at our destination. YUCK. It doesn't seem to get any easier for me to fly. I followed your link from Emily's FB post to link up our blogs. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uggghhh, 17 hours I wouldn't like that at all, although my kids both went on missions trips one to Ecuador and the other to Guatemala. Thanks for sharing with me!

      Delete