Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Distracted with much


I arrive at work; look at my cluttered desk and wonder, where do I even begin? I have so many tasks ahead of me, so much to do and the pile grows bigger each day; emails to respond to, meetings to attend, schedules to meet, deadlines to adhere to (~sigh~) when will I find the time to do it all? I wade through the mess, attempting to prioritize, making lists and checking off my accomplishments. Before I realize what time it is, the work day is done, and it’s time to leave.

 As I’m driving home I decide to make a quick stop to pick up “a few things” which unfortunately becomes a full blown shopping trip with a cart load of groceries and I now have to hurry home to get started on a late dinner.

 When I arrive home I look around at all the things that need my attention; weeds to be pulled, laundry to be done, dishes to be loaded and unloaded, rooms to be cleaned, bills to be paid and on and on and on (~sigh~) when will I find the time to do it all?

 After unloading the groceries I look at the date and realize I forgot about a meeting I had promised to attend so I apologize and hurry out the door. In my desire to serve, I agree to volunteer my time and my talents so I make plans for upcoming events and opportunities to be a blessing and I think (~sigh~) when will I find the time to do it all?

 I’m exhausted, but I can’t sleep. My mind races and as it jumps from one thing to another, I take a deep breath and let out another ~sigh~ thinking of all that still needs to be done.

 I try to remember a time when life was simple, with little to do, and fewer demands but I can’t even fathom it.

 I think about the story of Martha and Mary in Luke 10:38-42 Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.”

And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.

If I were to be really honest I’d have to say (with a cringe) that if I were Martha, I may have responded to Jesus’ statement something like this, “Somebody has to get things done! There are meals to be cooked, rooms to be cleaned, beds to be made (I’m sure they had overnight guests!), there is more that needs to be done!” Of course I would have said it through humility and tears! But why didn’t Jesus see all that needed to be done? There was so much to accomplish and just who was supposed to do it?

Somebody had to find the time to do it all!

As I read the scripture again I noticed it said “He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house.”… “But Martha was distracted with much serving”. I know that so many of us can relate to Martha and her plight but why do we so often feel the need to do more and more and more? Is it for approval, validation, praise, love? Also like Martha, many of us have invited Jesus into our homes, into our lives but find ourselves too distracted with “much serving” to spend time with Him, when all that we’re seeking can be found at the feet of our Savior.

As Christians we sometimes become so distracted by wanting to be His hands and feet that we forget to simply take time to sit at His feet, spending time in His presence, receiving the good gift that He so freely offers, that will not be taken away from us.

Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”

I want to be more like Mary, don’t you?

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. A resounding YES, my friend! I want to be more like Mary. I find it is in the daily choices I make that render me more like Martha. It is such a good point you make... "distracted by wanting to be His hands and feet that we forget to simply take time to sit at His feet". Oh to understand that we choose the "better thing" by choosing to spend time with Christ ~ sigh~

    We can do this, we can CHOOSE to stay present and enjoy His good graces no matter what we are doing. Whether it be working, running errands or serving others. We also need to remember to ask for WISDOM concerning all things ministry so that we aren't overlooking our own families.

    Love you! Thanks for your transparency :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree, sometimes we have no choice but to be busy with caring for our families or others but we can still enjoy His presence!
    Love you too!

    ReplyDelete