Thursday, June 20, 2013

Beauty in the Perfect Imperfections

“You are imperfect, permanently and inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful.” ―

Amy Bloom

 

 

 
 
How many times have you looked in the mirror only to be disappointed at the image you see?

We think "if only my nose were smaller, my teeth straighter" or a bazillion other "if only’s".

So often we are more critical when it comes to our own appearance than our worst enemy! Truthfully we ARE our own worst enemy! 

We are constantly bombarded with images we fear that we’ll never measure up to and most likely won’t, as many of them are airbrushed and altered to be more aesthetically pleasing.

So we attempt to alter what we see with the newest diet and exercise fads, pills, creams (how many infommercials do we see in a day?) and surgeries all in hopes of obtaining perfection.

Now if you’re one of the millions of people who have tried any or all of these things please don’t feel that I’m judging you, I’ve tried some too.

The problem isn’t with dieting and exercising or trying new things. We should all strive to eat healthy and incorporate exercise into our daily habits and routines and we should care for our bodies and our appearance.
 
Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

So if we’re created in God’s image why then do we sometimes despise the image we see looking back at us?


The way that we view ourselves and our appearance sometimes becomes so distorted that it becomes an obsession and that’s when we cross the line.

And unfortunately some fall into the deep abyss of eating disorders and other dangerous phobias and addictions as the idea of perfection is always just out of reach.
 
“There is nothing more rare, nor more beautiful, than a woman being unapologetically herself; comfortable in her perfect imperfection. To me, that is the true essence of beauty.” ―
Steve Maraboli, Unapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience


Is it possible that our true beauty is in the imperfections, the very things that make us who He created us to be?

What if each time we glanced in the mirror we looked for the beauty God knitted in us? Would we see Him, our Creator, there?


What if in our self-talk we began to speak positive affirmations, thanking God for the qualities that make us so wonderfully and beautifully unique?

Let’s try it, and if that voice of doubt or negativity tries to speak out against what God created, let’s remember what His words says…
 
Psalm 139:14
The Message (MSG)
Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother’s womb. I thank you, High God—you’re breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration—what a creation! You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something. Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, The days of my life all prepared before I’d even lived one day

 

3 comments:

  1. Great post Lanette!
    Keep up the beautiful writing :)
    Blessings to youuuuu,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri, that means a lot!
      Blessings to you too!

      Delete