Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Voice of Truth



I never finish anything.

I can’t stay focused.

I’m not good enough.

I can’t do anything right.

I'm a failure.

 
Sound familiar? I think sometimes we're harder ourselves than anyone else ever could be. The negative self talk becomes a constant reminder of who we believe ourselves to always be.
For years I told myself and truly believed those lies. I attempted different things, tried different jobs but always ended up feeling like a failure and believed that I could never be who I really wanted to be, who God created me to be.

I worked in positions that went against my natural gifts and abilities, only to feel more frustrated and more inadequate than ever before.
 
God didn't choose for me to feel that way, that isn't who He called me to be and that is not what He says about me. His word says that He has a plan for me, to prosper me and not to harm me, a plan to give me hope and a future, Jeremiah 29:11.
 
And He has a plan for you too!
 
So why then do we continue to attempt to swim upstream, going against the natural current God has called us to navigate?
 
One word…FEAR

 
Fear of failure. Fear of success. Fear of change. Fear, fear, fear.
It’s what most often holds us back from doing what God has called us to do. And that fear comes from listening to voices that tell us something different than what the Voice of truth tells us.

It doesn't matter what we've been told or what we've believed, if we are in Christ then we are not the same.
 

2 Corinthians 5:17 (NLT)
This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!

And according to His word we don't have to be held captive by the negative thoughts we've had about our abilities or inabilities.

Galatians 5:1 (MSG)
Christ has set us free to live a free life. So take your stand! Never again let anyone put a harness of slavery on you.

Still doubting?

God's word says in
Ephesians 2:10 (NLT)
For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.

Isn’t it comforting to know that God has it all planned out, we just need to listen for HIS voice, trust HIM at his word and let HIM lead us?

 God’s word tells us in Proverbs 16:9 (NLT) We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.


So when we find ourselves way off course in the middle of a storm we just need to remember what Jesus did and the words He spoke to those He loved in the middle of their storm…
 
Mark 4:39-40 (NKJV) Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Peace, be still!" And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. But He said to them, "Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?"
 
Do not fear! Instead, have faith in who God says you are and the plan that He has for you.

2 Timothy 1:7 (NLT)
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
 
For as long as I can remember I’ve had a love of writing and storytelling. I try to "paint a picture" in the listener or the reader’s mind. I want to share with them the beauty and colors of the story, just as any great writer or artist would.
 
Who does He say that I am?
 
He says I’m an artist and a writer, a storyteller….
 
Who does He say you are?

Stop listening to the negative voices around you, especially your own and listen carefully for His voice.
 
Listen to Him. Trust Him. Follow Him.
 
You may encounter a few storms but you have a Savior who walks on water…



 

2 comments: