Friday, April 5, 2013

The Passionate Pursuit


As I watch the wind blow through the trees, I wonder,
is this the life I was supposed to live?
Was this the path to my destiny?
Or somewhere along the way did I step too far off the path,
only to return to a course that had changed,
curving and turning away from the things that I thought I wanted.
Bringing me instead to places I never dreamed.
Step by step I follow this path.
Sometimes filled with joy, sometimes regret.
Where will it end? Where will I be?
The destiny of my own choosing or the one chosen for me?
 
 
 
 
The choices we make in life, good or bad, inevitably have an effect on the consequences we face.
Some of us have made choices that have caused us deep regret and while we may feel that we have altered God’s plan for us, nothing we have done or could do is a surprise to Him. His plan for us still exists and while His plan may be different than ours, His ways are always better.
 
 
Isaiah 55:8-9 "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."

 
The hardest part can be discovering what His plan is and how to get back on the right path if we've wandered a bit.
We can't go back and change what has already been done, but we can make different choices that are more in line with His will for our lives and we can choose to let go of our own agenda, our own plans.

 
"Sometimes our plans have to fail in order for God’s plans to succeed."
-Mark Batterson, Wild Goose Chase.
 

Even when we feel like we’ve blown it, God is not deterred in His purpose and plan for us by our mistakes or our failures. If you’ve ever wondered what God’s purpose is for your life then you have to believe that He has one and there is nothing we could do that could force God to change His mind or His plan.

 

A few years ago I began earnestly pursuing God’s plan and purpose for my life. I read every book on the subject that I could possibly find. One of my favorite books by Mark Batterson, called Wild Goose Chase, stirred a desire in me to find out what I was most passionate about, what made me happy, what broke my heart and encouraged me to find a way to make that my life’s work.
 

On numerous occasions, I prayed, asking God to reveal His purpose for my life. As I talked with my husband about the ways that God had gifted me and how I felt like I was wasting my talents, he told me "I think you’re an incredible artist but I don’t think that’s where you’re most gifted. I think it’s your openness and honesty. People are drawn to you, they come to you and share with you, they open up to you and I think that’s your greatest gift."  
While I felt blessed by my husbands words I still pleaded with God to give me a "sign" of His purpose, His plan for me.

 
 
One day while I was working at the front desk, a coworker walked by and said "Good morning." I responded with "Good morning. How are you?"  She stopped and began to pour out her heart, sharing the struggles she was facing then stopping herself said "I don’t know why I just told you all of that, you must have counselor written on your forehead."
I asked God for a sign and well, that was enough for me!
 
 
Matthew 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."
 
 
I’ve had many opportunities since then to be a "counselor" to other women through ministry, prayer and through writing and have been incredibly blessed by each experience and hope that others have been blessed as well.
 
Sometimes what we’re seeking is right in front of us and sometimes we’re looking for signs that are more obvious to others.

 

If you’ve asked God what your purpose is and you’re believing Him for a sign maybe you should also ask those closest to you what they believe your greatest gifts are, then compare those to what you’re most passionate about, what makes you happy or what breaks your heart.
Join a group, seeking encouragement from others with the same passions or start a group and encourage others in their pursuit of God’s purpose for their lives!

Above all else, be passionate in your pursuit of God, following Him on the path to your destiny and He will take you places you’ve never dreamed…



 

"Nothing is more unnerving or disorienting than passionately pursuing God. And the sooner we come to terms with that spiritual reality, the more we will enjoy the journey."

—Mark Batterson in Wild Goose Chase
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this! Have just been sitting here meditating on the question, "What breaks your heart?". I've never considered it! What a great question! You've prompted me to dig deeper into the motive of my heart, in what I've been called to do. ♥ What breaks MY heart is when people don't know the truth! That is my answer to the question. I'm glad for the clearer perspective, and the new determination I have to continue helping others heal by the hearing of God's truth! The truth will set us free! Thanks again, Lanette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Peggi! If you haven't had a chance to read Mark Batterson's books, I highly recommend it! He has a way of stirring up passions for pursuing God given dreams!!! Wild Goose Chase is probably my favorite (it was the first one I read) but The Circle Maker is great too! You are doing an awesome job of stepping out in faith and using your past to bring healing to so many others!!! Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Lanette. Love the story about your coworker. Also, do you know about the book by Dan Allender called To Be Told. I think you'd find it really helpful. It's about how the story God has written with our lives up to this point provides direction for the future. I think there's a copy around here somewhere. I'll see if I can get my hands on it. ~Chad Allen, www.chadrallen.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Chad! I greatly respect your opinion so your words are very encouraging! I have not read that book but would love to so if you find the copy let me know. Otherwise I'll check with Kentwood.
    Thanks again,
    Lanette

    ReplyDelete