Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Deep Intimacy



What if our most intimate moments with God happen to be during our greatest heartaches, the moments that we feel our deepest pain?
Throughout my life I’ve experienced great losses and so very many heartaches but it is in those moments that I can look back and clearly see the hand of God on my life and the lives of those around me.
Hearing news of the tragic loss of our beloved grandson brought about unfathomable grief, but as scene after scene played out, God’s mercy and grace washed over us, mixed with our tears and filled our hearts with His love and forgiveness. Lives were changed, hurts were healed. While it’s difficult to accurately describe the incredible love that God poured out over all of us who were grieving, anyone who has suffered that kind of tragedy and experienced that kind of intimacy with God, knows it all too well.
Psalms 147:3
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
 
They say that divorce is like a death and having experienced the pain that accompanies it I would have to agree. I would even add that the idea of dying from a broken heart seemed all too possible, and at times, welcomed. Feeling as if I was drowning in an ocean of despair, I desperately cried out to God asking why He was making me suffer. A few years later, standing at a church service and looking at a beautiful sunrise that filled the screen above me, God spoke to my heart, I wasn’t making you suffer I was saving you from a life you were never meant to live. In the midst of my great heartache God was with me, and He saved me.
 
As I scroll through a popular social networking site I see heartache after heartache, countless faces struggling through trial and tribulation.
Loved ones, friends, acquaintances and strangers facing cancer, all at different stages of a disease that doesn’t discriminate. No age, race or gender is excluded.
 
A beautiful young girl desperately fighting a disease that threatens to steal her away from her beloved parents whose world was turned upside down with a cancer diagnosis.
 
A wife, mom, and talented designer who tries treatment after treatment, holding desperately to her faith, hopeful that the next attempt will be it.
 
The stories may be different but the desperation and heartache is the same.
 
Psalms 55:22
Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.
 
At times this life that we hold so tightly to can be so harsh and still we pray for one more day, one more breath, one more chance.
 
Death
Divorce
Disease
 
Whatever heartache we’re facing we can be sure of God’s promises.
 
Psalm 34:18 (NLT)
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.
 
"Your most profound and intimate experiences of worship will likely be in your darkest days – when your heart is broken, when you feel abandoned, when you’re out of options, when the pain is great – and you turn to God alone."
~ Rick Warren
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

4 comments:

  1. Lanette! Another awesome one! :) Girl...never stop writing! Now I'm going to go look up all of those verses and read them over and over. Most are already highlighted, but it is always encouraging to see their application and the reminder His words serve!
    Love ya friend!
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandi thank you so much for all your encouragement and your tech support, lol! Seriously though I would not be moving forward with my dreams without the support and the push of some really wonderful new friends!!!
      You're posts encouraged me to go "deeper" this time...love what God is doing in us and through us!
      Love you <3
      Lanette

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely amazing!! It brought many tears to my eyes, I loved it! I love reading everything you have to say, it is amazing to me how the words you write seem to touch my heart everytime! Thank you Lanette! Love you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you honey that so encourages me that I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing! I feel so blessed to be doing what I love and what I believe God gifted me to do! Love you very much too!!!

      Delete