Friday, March 15, 2013

The Gift

After months of dragging my feet and wondering if anything I have to say is worthy of your time, I’m finally taking a leap of faith and diving in to this thing called blogging.

You’re here so that’s a good sign. My hope is that you’ll be glad you came, that you will leave with a smile, a laugh or even an appropriate tear but most of all that you will be encouraged.



We all have unique talents and abilities, God given gifts that He knit in us before we were born. Most often these gifts come so effortlessly that some fail to realize it’s a gift at all.

Athletics is not my gift. I cannot run and dribble a basketball to save my life, nor can I hit a baseball, just ask my family.

Singing is not my gift, although I’m pretty sure I could get a recording contract in my car or in my shower. I’m just not sure anyone else would agree.

I am an artist and most often I’m amazed at what I can do, knowing fully that God guides my hand as the brush effortlessly strokes the canvas revealing beauty that only He could (use me to) create.

I’m also a writer. I love to tell a story and paint a picture with my words which would explain why my stories can be a bit lengthy.

Unfortunately I believed for many years that I wasn’t smart enough, good enough or talented enough and that the lack of a degree disqualified me from using my gifts. So day after day, month after month, year after year I did what I felt I was qualified to do and struggled greatly in positions that went against my natural abilities.

Disappointment. Frustration. Discouragement.

I'm sure that some of you have felt or feel the same way.

Then one day God revealed the truth- that I’m an artist because He created me that way, not because I took a class or have a degree and it's the same with writing. Of course I could take classes to further my skills and abilities but the gift is already there. I'm a writer because that's who God says I am.

Psalm 139:13 says, You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb.

He knew me, before He formed me. He knew what I would be and who I would become, if I just listened to His voice and trusted the gifts that He instilled in me.

Fear of failure and maybe even a fear of success holds you back. The self doubts and the what-ifs settle in and so you stay in the familiar, safe places right where the enemy of your soul wants you- far from the plan God has for you.

You see, when we fail to trust in the gifts that God has placed in us, we fail to move into the positions He has planned for us.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

The doubts come easier when comparison enters the picture. There will always be someone else that we see as more capable, more gifted, more talented and so we believe that we have no purpose.

But God made you, uniquely you, on purpose with a purpose!


If you're not sure what your gifts are, ask God to reveal them to you. Think about those things you're most passionate about and what makes you truly happy or what breaks your heart. Is there something you can get lost in, losing all sense of time? Ask those you trust what they feel your gifts are, they might surprise you!

Above all else listen to the words of Colossians 3:23, Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.

And remember dear friends...

Ephesians 3:20
Glory belongs to God, whose power is at work in us. By this power he can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine.


10 comments:

  1. Beautiful words Lanette! When I was sitting down to do my first one earlier this week I started looking up verses about the gifts God gives us...because doubt of course crept in. I struggle with believing my writing is a gift, because it's so easy to serve ourselves/others with it and not the Lord. I love the verses I found. (I planned to do a blog on it) I thought of them when I read yours. It is SO true...the Lord knows us and He planned us, and if our passion is in writing, than I claim it as a gift from Him! :) Here's the link to the site with all the verses on His gifts! Thought you'd like it, to give you more affirmation too! http://www.jollynotes.com/inspirational-verses/abilities-gifts-talents-verses/
    Love, Brandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandi,
      Thank you so much for all your support and encouragement! I am so incredibly blessed to have met so many wonderful Godly women and I'm so thankful for you! Thanks for the link. I'm always looking up verses!!!
      Much love to you!
      Lanette

      Delete
  2. Amen! That will preach! Thank you for sharing this! From all of us who have been told (or felt) that we are inadequate because we are not "trained" to do what we do, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouraging words!
      God bless you and keep doing what God gifted you to do!!!

      Delete
  3. WONDERFUL! So proud of you, sweet friend. Can't wait to see what amazing things God is going to do in and through as you share your heart by His leading. Love you big muches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa thank you so much for all the encouragement! I'm so thankful that God opened the door to WWIH, and brought such amazing women into my life! I'm so incredibly grateful!
      Love you!!!!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful Woman of God!!! Thank you so much for sharing your "God-given gifts" with the world. You are an amazing writer and I am truly blessed by your authenticity. That is what inspires and impacts others to live free to be who they were created to be.

    I personally was blessed as I experience so much of what you shared. I am so thankful for all that He has done in my life, and continue to pursue my uniqueness in Him.

    I am so excited, to see all of the manifestations, of you BOLDLY walking in the confidence, of who you were created to be!

    For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. Phillipians 1:6 NASB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cherie, that is such a blessing coming from someone I admire so much! Thank you for your words of affirmation! I hope to be that kind of an encouragement to others!
      God bless you in all that you do too!!!

      Delete
  5. Cheering for you, Lanette!! Yay for brave steps!!

    "Unfortunately I believed for many years that I wasn’t smart enough, good enough or talented enough and that the lack of a degree disqualified me from using my gifts." I know that feeling all too well. Most of my adult life I lived in that place. Now, life is so different. :)

    Isn't is just amazing how God moves when we trust in the gifts He's given?? :) So happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! So happy for you too and yes it is amazing!!! So excited to see what God has in store for both of us in 2014! Wish you were close enogh for coffee, I have a feeling we have a lot in common :)
      Maybe someday...

      Delete