Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Good Medicine

They say laughter is contagious, so if it makes us laugh (even if it’s about me) it must be shared…



 One beautiful summer afternoon, my young son and I were taking a bike ride on the nature trail near our home.
The sun was peaking through the trees, there was a slight breeze and we were having a great time.

It was a perfect summer day. My son was riding just ahead of me, gliding around the curves, occasionally glancing back at me as I lagged behind and then it happened.

 A very large woodchuck darted out in front of me and wedged himself in between the front and rear tire of my bicycle. I screamed, and pulled my flip-flop covered feet up and away from the animal, terrified that I might be bitten.
I contemplated jumping off the bike but as I moved, he moved.
Everything happened in slow motion and seemed to go on for an eternity, although I’m sure it was only a matter of seconds.

Just when I was sure to lose the balance that I so unbelievably maintained, the woodchuck dislodged himself and ran off into the safety of the woods.  

With my heart pounding, tears in my eyes and nearly out of breath from screaming, I looked at my son in disbelief as he very sincerely asked, "Mom are you ok?"
And since everyone in our family knows that for me, any combination of running, jumping, laughing or screaming could require a trip to the restroom, he quickly added "Did you pee your pants?"

 We burst into laughter, amazed at what had just happened.
 
Who in the world runs over a woodchuck with their bicycle? Apparently I do.
 
It’s good to laugh, even at ourselves. They say that "laughter is the best medicine" and there is even something called "laughter therapy".
 
God’s word says in Psalm 126:2 (NKJV) Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing. Then they said among the nations, "The Lord has done great things for them."
 
And in Proverbs 17:22 A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. 

So go ahead, LAUGH because no one wants "dry bones"… and in the words of Miss Sweet Brown….."Aint nobody got time for that!" (go ahead, google it, I bet you’ll laugh)

6 comments:

  1. Pesky varmint! ;)
    Your blog is looking so good!
    I love the name and so glad you took the plunge. I'll be looking out for posts from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I'm so excited to see how God uses all the crazy stories in my head, lol :)

      Delete
  2. I'm laughing out loud...my family has to ask me that too! Your son sounds like he has great comedic timing! Thank God for laughter and sons! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Brandi, you have NO idea! We laugh EVERY day in our house :)

      Delete
  3. Ok.... so you never answered the question? Did you pee your pants...lol Makes for a long bike ride back home...lol Thanks for sharing bcuz that's funny.. I don't care who you are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Keith...not this time, lol!
      Thanks :)

      Delete