Friday, March 22, 2013

Dry Ground




As I was driving to work one morning I began to thank God for sending the much needed rain but as it continued to come down harder and harder I changed my prayer from "Thank you for the desperately needed rain!" to "Please help the ground to be pliable and soft enough to receive it."

 
Flash floods can occur when the ground has been dry and too much rain comes too quickly, the ground isn’t able to absorb it.

 
The thought of the ground being so dry and hard for so long and refusing to allow the water to saturate deep enough to do the most good reminded me of how hard our hearts get sometimes.

 
Whether we’ve suffered from the choices of others or our own choices, our pasts can cause our hearts to harden. God ‘s word says in Hebrews 3:15 "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion."

 
A good soaking of rain can soften up the driest ground and bring back to life the dying plants and grasses, refilling springs, streams and rivers.

 
Jesus said that He offered "living water" and that whoever drank of this water would never thirst again.

 
So if we allow our hearts to be pliable(flexible, submissive, obedient) He will saturate our lives with His promises, He will restore what was dead or dying and bring everlasting life.

 
Jesus answered her, "Everyone who drinks this water will become thirsty again. But those who drink the water that I will give them will never become thirsty again. In fact, the water I will give them will become in them a spring that gushes up to eternal life." John 4:13-14

2 comments:

  1. "Dry Ground"...beautiful reminder Lanette of how we need to keep our hearts open to the Lord! Don't you just love it when God uses everyday events to speak to our hearts? Thank you so much for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Caryn! Yes, I do love it when God does that and if we would listen more for His voice I think we would "see" more of Him all around us :)Thanks again and I LOVE your blog! As soon as I get this thing figured out I want to share some of my friends blog's, especially those that have been such an encouragement, like yours!

    ReplyDelete